Thursday, December 31, 2009

SNOW PLOWS



Ten days ago we had a powerful snow storm that dumped 14 inches of snow on Landisville and forced us to cancel a Sunday morning service for the first time since I have been here as pastor. By mid Saturday morning hardly a person was on the road and Saturday night they even took the snowplows off the road for a few hours to allow the drivers to rest while the storm abated. Some time in the wee hours of Sunday morning they went to work removing the snow and ice in an attempt to return the roads to a semblance of safety so that people could get their lives back to normal.

Have you ever had a storm in your life that pretty much left you buried? So much has accumulated that a major effort is needed to clean things away, so you can unbury yourself and get on with your life? Whenever a major snow storm hits I start shoveling before it's over because I know that when the accumulation reaches a certain level, I will never dig out under my own strength. This snowstorm I was blessed by my thoughtful neighbor Jim who ran his snowblower in my driveway Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon, and even one more time later. Even then, the shoveling I had to do to keep his work from being in vain was about all I could handle. Left to my own strength and energy, I probably wouldn't have been able to get out of my driveway until sometime in the middle of the next week.

God never intended us to handle our lives alone. He gives us the blessing of the body of Christ (other flesh and blood people) to help deal with the storms of life. But God also gives us His supernatural power because sometimes you need more than a snow shovel or a snow blower--but something big like a snow plow.

Most of the time we handle our small storms with a modicum of success (or so we think)--but it is comforting to know that we have a God with all the power necessary to rescue us and help us get a fresh start.

No comments:

Post a Comment