Saturday, July 17, 2010

THIS OLD HOUSE


"And we know that if this earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal heaven in the heaven, not built by human hands." - 2 Corinthians 5:1

This is the most recent picture of me available that I am aware of. Except that it preceded a much-needed haircut by about 36 hours, it is what it is. I mean, it's me.

Lately I have found myself thinking about those words from Paul. Still shy of my 60th birthday by more than half a year, but feeling very much like damaged goods body-wise.

Several weeks ago I stumbled over a suitcase in the room Dianne uses as an office. Pretty much scarred myself for life with the ugly gash that was left on my left forearm. A couple of weeks ago I ventured into the garage wearing shorts. I was trying to straighten the place; but it wasn't too long before I banged into something and opened a cut that is just now healing on my left leg. The very next day I banged the other leg on the exercise equipment in my office (which is still low to the ground because I haven't set it up). You guessed it, I gashed the other leg.

I awakened at 2 AM last Sunday morning with a lower backache that turned out to be a small kidney stone which I passed 16 hours later after great pain. And as I write this devotional on the next Saturday afternoon, there has appeared a similar pain in the same location. It could be a long and painful night. Could be the makings of a real hellfire and brimstone message tomorrow morning if the pain keeps up.

We all start to wear out physically. What worked when we were younger no longer works as well. The only place where time stands still is in a graveyard. We get older and our friends get older, and boy, do they look older.

But this old house, even though it will not last, is not our final address. As this old house begins to show signs of wear it is a sign that the time is drawing near to claim the lease on a far better place. The best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment