Wednesday, April 13, 2011

MATURITY

 Reading: Psalm 71:14-19

Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
   and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
   do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
   your mighty acts to all who are to come.

I am now sixty years old but I still refuse to join AARP.  I can get just as good a discount deal from AAA and I don't need more life insurance.  Everything below my shoulders has the look and shape of a man my age, but my heart and spirit will subtract a decade or more.  My golf game is so bad that I'll never be able to shoot my age, but I can still yank a ball up the left field line for a hit (I just can't get past second base).

Lately I have been spending a lot of time with our student ministries as we transition to a new youth director.  I have been serving both as a teacher, spiritual counselor, and male influence especially for some of the young men who are part of this congregation.  They have graciously accepted me into their company and confidence, even Facebooking me. They acted incredulous went it was announced I had hit the big Six O.  That was a tremendous ego boost.

Bur I am also conscious that my remaining years of ministry are numbered.  They've always been numbered, I am just now more conscious of the fact. Financially, I plan to work another 10 years before "retiring."  But that's not where I am coming from.

God has already blessed me with 40 years of ministry. They have been fruitful years and they have been a purpose-driven life that I would trade for nothing.  I have been blessed to see God at work in powerful ways and I have been privileged to help facilitate transformed lives.  There are many people who are now fruitful servants of God experiencing life to the full as promised in John 10:10 because of the work God has given me and empowered me to do.

Yet I am intensely aware that there are still too many people for whom God is out of sight, out of mind; who maybe have a religion but not an authentic relationship with the Living God. I am aware that there are still generations who have not been reconciled to God, a reality that has eternal significance.  And that continues to be my purpose.  That's why I resonate with these words of David's; spoken in the years of his maturity.

 14 As for me, I will always have hope;
   I will praise you more and more.
 15 My mouth will tell of your righteous deeds,
   of your saving acts all day long—
   though I know not how to relate them all.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, Sovereign LORD;
   I will proclaim your righteous deeds, yours alone.
17 Since my youth, God, you have taught me,
   and to this day I declare your marvelous deeds.
18 Even when I am old and gray,
   do not forsake me, my God,
till I declare your power to the next generation,
   your mighty acts to all who are to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment