Wednesday, January 11, 2012

GOALS


Reading: Exodus 20:8

I am a list-maker.  If it's important, I try putting it on some kind of list.  It goes there so I can remember it, so I can plan for it ... and so I can cross it off when I complete it.

For some people those lists simply focus on "Dumb Stuff I Gotta Do".  For others they are goal statements for the day.  A list then defines the target that you are trying to hit for that day,  For many of us, a list enables us to prioritize so that day's end we can rest comfortably in the knowledge that our efforts have born fruit,

Without goals we often live unreflective lives devoid of accountability and bereft of productivity.  We simply get what we get - and that is rarely worth getting, especially when we see the things we missed as we squandered away our lives without a plan,

Healthy people, however, know that sometimes the goal is to do nothing,  When we intentionally do nothing at defined times, we get the rest and reflection needed to keep our lives on mission with Jesus.

Such times are called Sabbath.  Have you made a sabbath a goal for you lately?  A new year is a perfect time to add this goal to the rhythm of your life.

(C) 2012 by Stephen L Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment