Wednesday, May 2, 2012

GOING VIRAL


Reading: Isaiah 55:11

There is an expression in our popular culture-GOING VIRAL. It is generally used for videos that are posted on the internet and are re-posted an astronomical number of times and then re-posted again and again by the recipients of those posts,  It also refers to relational or celebrity rumors and political misinformation. (I hesitate to repeat a single one of those lest some repost an "excerpt' from this devotional and it goes viral further perpetuating the ignorance and prejudice of the world.)

One thing that is intended to go viral is the Good News of the Kingdom, the Gospel of God.  Yet it requires someone to tell the news.  In a world where people have come to believe that faith is a private matter and are fearful of offending people with our beliefs, too often we choose not to share our faith vocally.  We hope that good works, a Bible on the coffee table, bumper stickers and church attendance will suffice to confess that "Jesus is Lord."

We also hold back because we are afraid of rejection and/or failure.  For that I have an answer.  It comes from God Himself, whose news we are sharing.


 " ...so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

(C) 2012 by Stephen L Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment