Thursday, June 28, 2012

DOING WHAT YOU LOVE

I am a blogger.  If you don't know what that means, think "creative writing on the internet."  I have been blogging for about four years now. I am also a multiple blogger (my Youth Director once referred to me as "the Mad Blogger").  Before blogging I wrote magazine articles and before that, way back in grade school I wrote (and drew) comic books.  My lack of artistic skill doomed that.  As a pastor, I write sermons and devotionals. Before blogging, Thriving in Christ was an e-mail devotional.

I don't often quote Anne Rice.  Her literary genre I find more disturbing than anything and her attempts at Christian writing are more fiction claiming historical foundations. Dan Brown said that, too.  Nonetheless, she said something recently worth noting:


"I loved words. I love to sing them and speak them and even now, I must admit, I have fallen into the joy of writing them."


People who know me very well understand just how much I love working with words and ideas.  People who don't have that love tend to think of writing as work--no, hard work--a necessary evil.  Writing and the anxiety about writing drains people.  Writing invigorates me.  Where some men would chop would to invigorate their lives, I turn to a keyboard.  For people who work in order to earn a living so they can do what they really enjoy; I am blessed that something I really love helps me earn a living.


I do not share Solomon's sentiment, "Of making many books there is no end, and much study wearies the body." - Ecclesiastes 12:12b.  Instead, I relate to Paul's observation in Colossians 3:17:


"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him."
When I write I am celebrating the gift God has given me because of the love He has shown me and the life he has called me to.  I love what I do and when I don't do it, something in me diminishes.  God gave us gifts, spiritual passions, abilities, experiences so that we might do the work of God and do it with joy.

Do you love what you do?  Don't make apologies. Don't try to do what others do.  If God has gifted you and blesses you by it as you bless others by doing -then just do it!

(C) 2012 by Stephen L Dunn







No comments:

Post a Comment