Thursday, December 10, 2015

A WELL FULL OF JOY

BY STEVE DUNN

Reading: Isaiah 12:2-6

     As I drove to work today I have used a seeing eye dog--or a seeing eye "something" to go in front of my Toyota.  The fog was so dense that I barely see 20 feet in front of me and 30 feet beyond me was a total mystery.  Even my memory of the road was not sufficient to give me confidence to drive above snail speed and I was fooled more than once, making me even more apprehensive.

     Fear and apprehension are good words to describe the world how we live in the world today. From Isis to food contamination to winter storms to identity theft hackers, it is very easy to live with the sense that disaster could destroy us in a heart beat.

    Arriving at the office, I began my quiet time and my devotional guide took me to Isaiah 12.2-6.

'God is my salvation;
    I will trust and not be afraid.
The Lord, the Lord himself, is my strength and my defense[a];
    he has become my salvation.”
With joy you will draw water
    from the wells of salvation.
In that day you will say:
“Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name;
    make known among the nations what he has done,
    and proclaim that his name is exalted.
Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
    let this be known to all the world.
Shout aloud and sing for joy, people of Zion,
    for great is the Holy One of Israel among you.”

     The words that captured me today were in 3 and 4: “he has become my salvation. With joy you will draw water from the wells of salvation.” It reminds of the lyrics to a contemporary song, “If grace is an ocean we’re all sinking.” People live with a sense of loss, a fear of having their resources diminished.  This brings depression and it is also brings selfishness—an inward focus instead of a Godward one.  If we truly understand what our salvation means and what it affords, should not our response instead be one of joy

     This Advent, when you begin to feel yourself sinking--turn again to Isaiah's source of strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment