Sunday, October 4, 2009

PASTOR STEVE AND JESUS



This painting, entitled "Love", is the work of Richard and Frances Hook. It has hung in every office that I have occupied since 1975. It is a powerful image of Christ that I have been drawn to since the very first time I saw it.

A number of years ago I took it from its perch on my office wall into the sanctuary to use it as an objective lesson for my children's sermon. I wanted to talk to the children about how God loves children and to the adults (who are always listening to a children's sermon) about the simple trust that characterizes the faith of a child.

Attempting to engage the children in a dialogue, I held up the painting and asked, "Who is this a picture of?" Five year old, blond-haired Lailah raised her hand knowingly. Her answer, "It's Pastor Steve and Jesus." I started to correct her and then was struck with the discernment of her words. It is exactly who it is. I am a child of God and the foundation of my life is the knowledge that Jesus loves me. The essence of my faith is that I face the world (now at age 58) with the assurance that I am secure in the arms of Christ Who gave His life for me. I trust Him because I have no doubt--God loves me.

The verse that comes to my mind is this--paraphrasing John 17, "He has loved us from the foundation of the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment