Monday, October 17, 2011

YOUR MONEY IS NO GOOD HERE

Reading: Isaiah 55:1

It's not happened often, but it is always a blessing.  I have gone into a restaurant and ordered a meal. Then, having enjoyed the meal, I have reached for the check only to have someone snatch it away with these words:
"Your money is no good here."

You know what they means.  You're about to get a free lunch.  And since you've already eaten it, it's impossible to argue.  You just need to have the good sense and good grace to accept the gift.

I confess that the first time it happened, I protested.  Like many of you, I have this inbred pride that says I need to earn what I enjoy. And even more prideful, I am capable of earning it and prefer to.

Pride is the enemy of grace.  We protest, "It's too good to be true." What we are really saying is, "I'm good enough. I don't need anyone's help let alone their charity."

Yet that's not the grace works.  And God is all about grace,  Even before Jesus visited the planet to become the ultimate agent of God's grace, the prophet Isaiah recorded God's declaration:

Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.

-- Isaiah 55:1
Your money is no good here.

(c) 2011 by Stephen L Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment