Monday, September 16, 2013

BE STILL

BY STEVE DUNN

He says, “Be still, and know that I am God;
    I will be exalted among the nations,
    I will be exalted in the earth.”- Psalm 46.10



I suffer from what is called restless legs syndrome, known by some as "crazy legs."  That latter is true in many ways as your legs are so restless and uncomfortable--that it sort of drives you crazy.  More than once I have said. "If I didn't want to be a cripple, I'd cut these things off."

The condition loves to strike me when Dianne and I are sitting down for a nice meal in nice restaurant.  More than once I have to stand to watch a movie.  Or to stand to counsel a parishioner. I have walked around at the back of movie theaters, and walked out of shows that were too long for my restless legs to endure. I have stood during counseling sessions--when I was the counselor.

And if I have an attack of restless legs while driving, I simply have to park the car or put whole realms of autos at risk as my restless legs like to jerk or make me shut our eyes.

There is a restless in the human psyche that is like restless legs.  I watches everything.  It always seeks more than it has.  It wants to be busy and have people notice.  It quickly over-schedules through overcommitment,  It doesn't no how to say "no." It takes responsibility beyond the limits of its human capability.

And it is a restlessness that often overlooks God.

God rarely stands on a rooftop to announce himself, nor uses a bullhorn to get people to toe the line.
He chooses to whisper and make us pay attention to what he is to doing and how he wants to involve us. 

And if we are too busy and too noisy, we miss His voice and His presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment