Thursday, February 24, 2011

DO YOU GET IT?

 Proverbs 21:12 - "Ears to hear and eyes to see--both are gifts from God." NLT

I am really not a good joke teller. The same sense of drama and timing that serve me well as a preacher seem to detach themselves when I try to tell a joke.  I can get to telling the lead in too quickly and leave out a key detail . When I arrive at the punch line, it's not funny because I left something out earlier in the build-up.  Plus, the things that I find funny are sometimes irrelevant to the people around me.  Or unfamiliar with the the subject and so I have to explain so much before the punchline that the comedic moment has drifted away into an irrelevancy of its own.

Sometimes my jokes fall flat because the people hearing them simply have no sense of  humor or they're not listening carefully or they're simply too slow to get any joke.

It is frustrating to communicate to people who just don't get it.

It is even more frustrating to miss something because we just don't see it?

It is a gift of God in all communications when one has eyes to see and ears to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment