Tuesday, March 1, 2011

RISING PRICES

  
Photo from Laura Beth Meier

Reading: Luke 12:27-31

I almost filled the tank of Dianne's Saturn.  She has been driving very infrequently. The price, which had been rising for several weeks was $3.29 per gallon. Thursday is the day prices change in my area.  The optimist in me said, "Surely, it'll be down at least a nickel."  But I was busy talking to the man at the pump next to me who was filling his truck again. "I filled this yesterday for $75."  I was about to ask why again so soon when I realized my pump had reached the $36 tally, but her car was now full.

"Oh well," I shrugged.

Later that day I got my heating oil bill. The tank had been filled barely 40 days ago and this bill was for $445. The signs were growing ominous.

This morning (still not Thursday) the pump price at the Weiss on Stony Battery Road hit $3.45.  

Good thing I "forgot" and left the pump running on Saturday.

Ever feel like you have no control over your life.  As frugal as I true to be to save pennies, all those savings disappear with one jump at gas pump.  I fortunately still have two cars that get 35-38 miles per gallon. My heart goes out to the guy with the truck.  I can walk to work if necessary (as long as I don't have to go anywhere else) and the church pays my work mileage.  Yet I still have less control over my expenses than I earnestly to have. Fortunately the yogurt I have for lunch still only costs 50 cents and McDonalds sells me coffee for a buck. But the co-pay on my blood sugar medicine keeps going up.

It's hard not to feel like a yo-yo when it comes to finances.

In a world where rising prices, and Middle East upheaval, and high taxes (and now rising grocery prices), I am still reminded that my life is in God's hand and He has promised to see that my family and I are provided for.  I just need to be obedient to His will, a good steward of what I am provided with, and focused on my kingdom work.  He will not let us sink.

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need." 
- Luke 12:31 NLT
(C) 2011 by Stephen L Dunn

No comments:

Post a Comment