Tuesday, July 28, 2009

EXPERTS



I am one of my denomination's experts on evangelism and reaching emerging generations with the Gospel. That isn't something I simply declared myself to be. It's something I have studied, done research on, tested, kept up with the literature, and written about.
My expertise does not come naturally, it is learned. It is motivated not by a desire to profit or prove anything. It is motivated by my passion for seeing new generations discover the truth of God's grace and transforming power. It is my desire for each new generation to have a relationship with Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.

Expertise is not always the product of success, but it IS the product of experience. We often learn the most from our mistakes, rather than our victories. Expertise does not come from talking and proclaiming facts. It is preceded by careful and open-minded listening--particularly listening to those from the area that you are studying.

Expertise requires a certain amount of humility--because godly expertise is rooted in wisdom and discernment, both gifts of the Holy Spirit. It also requires the humility to admit that sometimes you have gotten it wrong, and you need to start over again listening and learning.

Experts live by Paul's admonition to young Timothy, "Study to show yourself approved unto a God, a workman not ashamed--rightly dividing the truth."

No comments:

Post a Comment