Wednesday, July 15, 2009

ICE CREAM AND OTHER SIMPLE PLEASURES



This is a picture I'm thinking of keeping in my wallet along side pictures of my wife Dianne and my grandchildren. Ice cream. Scrumptuous, laden with sugar -- a pleasure to behold and an even greater pleasure to devour. For many people, ice cream is the ultimate comfort food. And as I learned on a recent mission trip to the Southwest, the way to earn the undying appreciation of your fellow missionaries.

I have other simple pleasures -- a baseball game on a cool summer evening; driving with the windows down listening to oldies from the 60's on the radio; a 30 foot putt from the fringe that drops in the hole; an anonymous act of kindness; hearing someone repeat an idea I taught them as if it were their very own; a smile and a warm embrace from my wife Dianne.

We live in a high performance, success-worshiping, driven world. I am learning that all this really does is cause you to jump through hoops to receive affirmation that is soon forgotten, all the while you are being driven to any early grave. It's taken me 58 years to get to this point -- but I think I am finally getting it.

That's why Paul's words have become so important to me. "Godliness with contentment is great gain." Living a life simply and confidently as God's man. Cultivating the humility and servant lifestyle of Jesus Christ. Finding my true self and my highest calling in simply living for Him.

This devotional is published on behalf of the Church of God of Landisville and its friends. (C) 2009 by Stephen L. Dunn. All rights reserved. Subscribe by email by contacting coglandisville@coglandisville.org or simply register on this blog as a follower.

No comments:

Post a Comment